[rekonq] Packaging / License

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 15:49:10 CEST 2009

On Friday 03 July 2009 09:10:46 kaboon wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm trying to get rekonq as a package into Fedora and during review I
> stumbled into this issue:
>
> * The source files claim GPLv2+ but the COPYING file says GPLv3. This
> software cannot be GPLv3 because it links to kdebase-workspace which is
> GPLv2. GPLv2 and GPLv3 don't go very well together. See:
>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#GPL_Compatibility_Matrix
> The license tag should be GPLv2+ but please ask upstream and verify this.
> Also, please don't package the false COPYING file.
>
> Now I'm trying to figure out what to do and what to use.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Eelko, from now on you are our licenses expert!!!

If I understood it well, the matter is linking with kdebase-workspace.
To release in GPLv3 we have to remove that, to maintain it we need to move to
GPLv2+.
Are there any other troubles & motivations to prefer one of these 2 licenses?

--
Andrea Diamantini,
IRC: adjam_AT_freenode