[rekonq] One process per tab: TODO list for 0.3 [RFC]

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:56:35 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 11:24:46 Lionel Chauvin wrote:

Here is what I think:

> - one url bar for all tabs

Sure!

This also implies simplifying error and icon management.

> - remove global menu

I'd like hear different voices here. I'm ok with this, but I'm not sure there
is general consensus.
And for me this implies also moving from KXMLGuiWindow to KMainWindow

There are others things to do before the "multitask rekonq process":
- KDE history support (to think about, perhaps copying and pasting some
konqueror classes :)
- KDE proxy support
- Unit Tests (UnitTests branch, I'm going to publish it in some days)
- rekonq documentation

- DECIDE FOR QtWebKit vs WebkitKDE

My idea is to stop again development here and release 0.3 with full KDE
support (but kwallet) and then ask for inclusion in extragear/network.
I'd also like moving	 rekonq in the KDE developers group in gitorious.

-----------

For "multitask rekonq" we can use "multitask git" :) developing these changes
in a separate branch to let things go up together.
(And merge it when we are sure it works well..)

> - duplicate main, application, mainwindow, mainview for rekonq_tab process

Why duplicating mainwindow and mainview? I think we need just a QWebView as
tab widget. Or not?

> - modify cmakelists.txt for compile rekonq and rekonq_tab executables

sure

> - modify main, application, mainwindow, mainview of rekonq_tab for:
> - multiple execution of rekonq_tab

ok

?

> - manage rekonq_tab's winId registration in the cookiejar

not sure here.
My idea (I repeat, I'm not sure) is that we have to use the same winId for our
tabs to let users open different tabs in the same context.
For example to open a different (logged-in) tab of gitorious in your browser,
you need to have the same winId in the two tabs.
Isn't it?

> - modify mainview of rekonq for xembed rekonq_tab in a new tab (but keep
>  also the current implementation of tabs)

sure

> When the previous todo list is done begin:
> - simplify rekonq_tab for make it lightweight as possible: history, icon
>  manager, (network manager ?) in rekonq process

This will be ever true in rekonq!

>  make rekonq_tab and
>  rekonq communicate via dbus

I really need to study and test something here. Really no idea about :)

> - handle crashs of rekonq_tab
> - automatically reload a crashed tab
> - if  3+ crashs display an error page in this tab for reload manually

these three are the same task for me.

Regards,

--
Andrea Diamantini,