Monday meeting notes for 6/2/2023

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:54:03 GMT 2023

Jonathan
* I'm making tars for 5.27 on thursday
* so get your fixes in before then
* release the following tuesday
[discussion]
Do we know of any blocker bugs?
svuorela: there are regressions with kscreen and lxqt/ukui/kylin, lxqt
fixed upstream already

Kai Uwe
Notifications:
    Fix Snap app identification not working well, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2577
Baloo:
    Show "Details" only if there are interesting details, please
review https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2577
PowerDevil:
    RFC: Enable "Fully Charged" notification by default,
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/powerdevil/-/merge_requests/132
plasma-browser-integration:
    Will probably do a maintenance release this week, just to get the
latest minor fixes out there
        Haven't had the time or motivation to continue on the wildcard
media controls stuff or the blacklist UI...
    Fixed media controls not working on some websites
        e.g. when the website has finished loading before p-b-i gets a
chance to install its listeners

Nico
* Mostly KF6 things, lot's of minor TODOs
* I did a bit of plasma-framework cleanup, like removing deprecated components
* The examples/ folder could use some cleanup, it's still mostly based on PC2
* I started porting to PC3, but there's more to do
* Also dropped some Plasma4 era examples
Other stuff:
* Made Dashboard skip the task switcher:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2583
* Refactor jumplist handling in kicker:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2525
* Started cleaning up/refactoring KWindowSystem
* That needs some thinking because a lot of the functions on Wayland
only makes sense for plasmashell surfaces, not any window
* So the API promises something it can't do

Arjen
* I did a fix for a bug in system settings the other day,
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/systemsettings/-/merge_requests/193
* where in some cases the menu will re-trigger if you've clicked on
the "show changed settings" menu entry
* but apparently the original change was intentional?
* other than that, there was a bug in Kirigami's ActionToolBar where
it didn't handle TextBelowIcon display mode properly, notmart did an
initial patch to introduce a new heightMode which I didn't really
like, so I wrote an alternative that was a bit more complex but fixes
the issue without having to choose a different mode
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/956
* ultimately it turns out QQuickItem::heightValid() is rather useless
if your item is ever used as part of a Control

Fabian
* I just came up with a topic an hour before the meeting while looking at a bug
* Some users complained that ~/Documents etc. were missing until they
ran xdg-user-dirs-update manually
* Turns out this is normally done by an xdg autostart .desktop file
* That went victim of https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/18791
* So it's quite a few applications and other stuff affected by this
* What's the best way to address this? I don't think systemd will move
anytime soon
* Turning off systemdBoot is probably not a good idea either?
[d_ed]
* some distros provide systemd services for xdg-data-dirs
* I thought we landed that in upstream xdg somewhere
* but I doubt there was a release
* https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-user-dirs/-/merge_requests/10
* It's not as trivial as checking "are we on gnome, if not ignore this flag"
* because we have desktops like cinnamon that do honour that flag but
aren't gnome
[fabian]
Then it could be ignored on KDE
[d_ed]
I suppose :)
[fvogt]
will try both

Fushan
* XWindowTasksModel is thoroughly tested now. WaylandTasksModel seems
to be unstestable in CI for unknown reasons (windows not listed).
* Was investigating how to port K4TimeZoneWidget, and found
TImeZoneModel in digital-clock can almost replace it, so * I added
flag support in the model.
Besides those, I mainly fixed some bugs about system tray:
    * Open context menu on pressed for SNI. The mousegrabber bug was
"fixed" in 5.24 but the old fix is not ideal.
    * Fix another xembed tray icon not clickable bug by making sure
the container window is under mouse upon click:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/2581 I
don't understand why root_x and root_y were included. The root pos
seems to often vary much from the actual click pos on Wayland.
    * Long press on plasmoid icon to open context menu for touchscreen users
    * XEmbed tray icon test plan: atspi webdriver can be used to
compare the icon title, and test the icon can respond to click events.
I plan to use Gtk.StatusIcon which seems to be the easiest way to
create an XEmbed tray icon. Since an atspi test is done in python, I
wonder if it's possible to use pygobject in CI.

Meven
* I merged my componentchooser KCM refactor for Plasma 6 though
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1207
* KF6 related, I merged my port of kio_file to workerBase impl, I have
more things todo to tidy up things there, regarding KIO::statDetails
in particular (https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/1170)

Marco
* week spent mostly on bugfixes and triaging of things in plasma and kirigami
* a day was spent on keyboard layout osd not working on x11,
unfortunately without much success (yet) as there are fundamental
problems on how is done in x11
* some investigation on multiscreen issues that are really rare to trigger
* several patches in kirigami to solve mostly papercut layout
problems, so both kf6 and 6
* almost done a kf6-only reqwrite of OverlaySheet to finally use Popup
* resurrected my split of plasma-framework with a plasma5support
library with only dataengine stuff in it (looks like the porting of
engines i did once upon a time in p-w is to be redone from scratch,
but easy enough)