semicolons and the policy that was none

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Wed Aug 10 17:42:21 BST 2022

Le mercredi 10 août 2022 à 3:57 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> a écrit :

> Aloha,
>
> Someone recently dug up this page from 2012
>
> https://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLStyle#JS_Code_Blocks
>
> First I'd like to point out that this page isn't a policy page, if it
> was meant to be then it needs to be linked on the policies page and
> supposedly somehow agreed upon, which I don't recall this one being
> (but then I wasn't really following plasma 10 years ago).
>
> Secondly, can we clarify our stance on semicolons?
>
> a) we don't care, do whatever you feel like but be consistent with
> your surrounding
> b) use semicolons never [*unless required]
> c) use semicolons always
> d) use semicolons sometimes [*define sometimes]
>
> Please cast votes

I would vote for c, it's more consistent with C++ and avoids some rare
issues where removing the semicolon creates issues. This is what I'd been
already doing for the app I maintain.

Cheers,
Carl

PS: speaking of outdated policies, we ought to maybe revisit this one
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Packaging_Policy since we provide
binary packages in some cases now

and we should probably also try to enforce this one
https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Frameworks_Documentation_Policy
more often in kirigami and plasma frameworks