Has there ever been ...

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:32:09 GMT 2021

Marco Martin wrote:

> It doesn't and it never has. (transparecies and shadows without compositing)

OK, I made a shortcut, sorry for that. Transparency and shadows do work with
XRender compositing so I suppose I should have talked about "OpenGL
compositing".
I see that KWin5 also has XRender support; I'll check if that or "lowly" OpenGL
2.0 are suitable workarounds for me.

I said I had no intention to make this into a thread but others here seem to
want just that, so:

Does keeping up with my time also mean I have to succumb to fashionable
susceptibility?!'m sorry (NOT!) but the latest kwin5 version I can currently run
is 5.15.5 and it's the worst glitching WM on my system. Even if I could update I
don't feel very inclined to because kwin has been becoming more and more bloated
over the versions leading up to 5.15, and filled with functionality I don't need.
I may evolve with my times (somewhat at least), but my computers don't.
I also happen not to like most of the themes included with KWin5 (in part
because they don't render text properly = with the high quality of
freetype+fontconfig with the Infinality patches) and because it's so tricky to get
the window borders the way I want them. Is that seen as an insult too?

So no, I'm not going to be reporting bugs (unless you want them, for my
"ancient" version) let alone try to fix things.
I'm a firm believer in not fixing things that ain't broke (there's a good chance
I'd be using the Trinity DE had I come aboard in KDE3 days; also note the
application I'm using to post here). KWin4 just happens to work (except for 1
thing). I wouldn't have asked on here if it were less cumbersome to install
without distro packages ... and less imposing a project to just do my thing
during the few lost hours I have (like I did with kdm).

But fck it... shall we just say that I asked my question out of historic
interest and personal education on things like best approaches to port KDE4
applications to Qt5/KF5? I'm not going to conclude (yet) that nobody has an
actual answer to my question (now THAT I'd consider an insult!)

R.