Plasma 5.22 Kickoff Notes

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:30:35 GMT 2021

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 7:22 PM Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> Jonathan, David E, Arjen, Noah, Carl, David R, Kai Uwe, Nate, Neal Gompa, Nicofee, Aleix, Rik Mills, Sitter, Alexander L
>
> = Plasma 5.22 kickoff meeting =
>
> == 5.21 review ==
>
> Feature freeze followed, not too much last minute panic.
>
> Nate says a little bit buggier than he wanted.  VDG changes turned out to be buggy in final release, not because they were merged on the last release.  Complaints even from KDE developers.  Testing was done by VDG with KDevelop and that was a problem area.  Hard to balance everything for every app.
>
> Some surprise at qqc2-breeze-style being included.  It felt rushed.  Question on which style is planned to be used (qqc2 desktop or breeze style)?  For now mobile

wasn't present at the kickoff meeting so commenting just here, just now.
I'm quite against qqc2-breeze-style and i think it was a mistake.
It was that the style used in plasma-mobile had bugs, so let's just
write a whole new style from scratch putting more maintainance burden
on the time being.
I suggest to reconsider the inclusion and the existence itself of this
style in the first place.
Already happened to me spending hours to debug supposed kirigami bugs
just to discover that were issues of this style instead

only.  It depends on what other devs think.  When breeze qstyle is
selected it would make sense to use qqc2-breeze-style.  Kai says maybe
best to bite the bullet and use qqc2-breeze-style.  qt6 native style
not very native.  Used for neochat on Windows.  Mac users want apps
that look like macs so don't put effort into making another style for
them.  Noah will still work on both.  David E suggests blogging about
how to change it manually before changing default in Plasma.  Consider

I'm very much against ***EVER*** changing the default to it on
desktop, and asking to reconsider its inclusion, and the default on
plasma mobile in the first place.

--
Marco Martin