plasma_install_package vs plasma_install_bundled_package

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Thu Jul 29 13:29:01 BST 2021

Hi,

in
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/blob/master/KF5PlasmaMacros.cmake#L12
we recommend using plasma_install_bundled_package over
plasma_install_package.

However in practice we always use the latter, except for plasma-pa and
plasma-nm.

I stumbled across this because the bundled version does not seem to
create a metadata.json from the metadata.desktop like the other macro
does. That means that the desktop file needs to be converted to json at
runtime which comes with a significant performance overhead when loading
a plasmoid.

Now I'm wondering whether we should fix plasma_install_bundled_package
or port the two users away from it and abandon it.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Nico