monday meeting notes for 11/1/2021

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 12:13:08 GMT 2021

David E
* I've been trying to fix our startup notifications on X:
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kdbusaddons/-/merge_requests/5
* Partly because it'll be important on wayland where we don't have a
forceActive fallback
* so I would like someone to look there
* Also, I would like to say this meeting that I think having this
"soft freeze" has worked really well
* This week (so far!) seems like it will be quite calm
* I've been trying to go over the plasma "Very high priority bugs"
* I've fixed a few the last few weeks

Jonathan
-repo freeze and feature freeze done - plasma-systemmonitor added.
plasma-firewall and qqc2-breeze-style going through kdereview.  I'll
declare plasma-phone-components to be stable and ready for use.
-can we disable ksysguard from building by default? having two things
that do the same task is something we should avoid
-5.21 release announcement is being worked on at:
https://invent.kde.org/websites/kde-org/-/merge_requests/42
[discussion on old ksysguard: is complicated to disable it for 5.21
though there are strong arguments to not release both. in the end was
decided to still release ksysguard one release

Kai Uwe
* I have a bunch of p-b-i changes i'd like to get in for 5.21
* Use libTaskManager for identifying the browser, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/26
* Slightly better scoring in Tabs Runner, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/30
* Apply autoplay prevention evasion also for Video tags, got contacted
by getmibo that p-b-i breaks their conferencing solution, please
review and test:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/34
and Notifications
* Improved job description when processing a single file. I think the
i18n is fine as is?
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/547
* Workaround popup sometimes not shrinking..
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/551
(This used to work originally but no idea what's going on)
other than that found several design flaws in the System Tray menu
button thingie in the header
* Crashes when actions get destroyed, workaround:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/184
* Doesn't call `contextualActionsAboutToShow` …
* Completely borked with Media Controller (maybe we should just kill
this applet, clearly nobody but me uses it, since it breaks every
single time VDG does something to Systray…)
 Questions:
* Will we keep the tabs at the bottom in plasma-pa now? Imho a rather
pointless change, breaking muscle memory.
* Is the default color scheme supposed to be Breeze Light now or not
with that Breeze evolution effort? It clearly isn't configured as
such.

Arjen
* I merged a few things before soft freeze
* primarily among them is that we now run ksystemstats updates at
500ms rather than 2000 which is what it was before
* other than that I have been working on a new legend for charts
* which won't make it for 5.21 as it is a complete rewrite
* but which should resolve a lot of issues we have with it at the moment

DavidR
* We have now volume feedback thingy for 5.21
* And I did a fallback network backend for ksystemstats which uses rtnetlink
* So the massive bug report is closed
* Currently finishing sddm kcm so it can go to 5.21

Carl
* I started working on an announcement for Plasma 5.21 with a fancy
layout :) https://invent.kde.org/websites/kde-org/-/merge_requests/42
* I kirigamified the applet configuration shell unfortunately it
doesn't solve the problem I wanted to solved and I have no idea how to
solve it https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/289

Alex
Clang-Format:
- Pre-commit hook MR is in progress, currently discussing
implementation details with dfaure
- Please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/381,
if there are configuration issues feel free to open a new thread. I
hope by now everyone if happy or accepted their fate ;-) A formal
approval would be nice though.
- After that I will start formatting some smaller projects, maybe it
takes a bit more
  planning/discussion to apply it on a bigger projects (open MRs and
stable branch stuff). Of course this will wait for the 5.21 branching.
KRunner:
- Currently cleaning up the single runner mode. For a feature being
just over DBus exposed it is a beautiful mess in the framework.
- There are some methods that are public API and really block the
simplification. We can not really use deprecation macros, because they
are used internally. Would be an `@internal` section in the docstring
with an explanation be enough?
Besides that I have put some work into formally deprecating the
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Depends property (kcoreaddons). Nicolas Fella is
almost done with replacing the KPluginSelector; after that the Phab
task of getting rid of this property is just waiting for KF6 branching
(https://phabricator.kde.org/T13553). This will also help porting the
KRunner KCM to QML.
-As I have said at the last meeting I have created a KF6 Metatask for KNewStuff
-and had a smaller discussion with Dan about the direction the API will go.
-All very productive an the first MRs to clean up the API/port the
consumers are made :)

Mikel:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/258
finally landed and I've been working on a few follow ups
Further footer customization (though it's been stuck since there's no
consensus on whether or not we want to expose this)
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/288
Replacing old TabGroup with a custom solution
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/290

Marco
* returned from vacation on thursday, mostly doing catch up
# Plasma
* merged plasmacore.iconitem fix on pixmap size
* fixed a Svg autotest fail
* back bashing my head against drag from anywhere in systemsettings,
the issue should be pretty much solved