Plasma5Support

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:44:03 BST 2021

Hi all,

I've been working on splitting dataengines out of libplamsa, as a new library
called plasma5supoport https://invent.kde.org/mart/plasma5support
(if we want to throw away other pieces non dataengine we can throw away them
there too)

It fully works (and a port of the dataengines in plasma-workspace is here
https://invent.kde.org/mart/plasma5support)

It's still not perfect, as is not totally a drop in replacement yet, which may
or may not be acceptable: you gave to port also the qml part of plasmoids
using it by importing the plasma5support qml plugin and replacing all the uses
of PlasmaCore.DataSource, DataModel and so on.

IT would be fine for out plasmoids, but any 3rd party plasmoid from the store
using dataengines would be broken once we ship ported plasma-workspace
dataengines.

I still think it's worth starting this port in plasma5 times in order to have
the least amount of work to be done in the strict qt6 porting phase.

the only solution i can think of though is including the standalone dataengine
library in plasma-framework itself, so porting plasmacore.DataSource etc to
use the new library internally, shich would be a pretty transparent migration
(that could potentially break 3rd party plasmoids using 3rd-party dataengines,
but do 3rd party dataengines exist anymore? unlikely..)

--
Marco Martin