monday meeting notes for 19/04/2021

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 11:38:24 BST 2021

Carl
* I started writing an abstraction over KMessageBox and
Kirigami.OverlaySheet. The goal is to use a Kirigami.OverlaySheet on
mobile and a KMessageBox on desktop while having an API only depending
on QtCore. This should be helpful in removing some QtWidgets bits from
PIM/MessageLib and making those available to Kolibri (a Plasma Mobile
email client, I'm working on)
 ## Please review:
* Calendar redesign:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/224
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/
* System tray accessibility:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/770

David E
* I have a kirigami MR that I need looking at as it's apparently
tagged as a VHI regression
    https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/279
* I also tried looking through some of the other plasma VHI
regressions and managed to close 2 more this weekend as not being
valid after some deeper investigation
* best type of fix, one that requires no work \o/

Alex
* Implemented the KRunner multiline results feature, please review:
   https://invent.kde.org/plasma/milou/-/merge_requests/27
   https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/krunner/-/merge_requests/65
   https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/66
* Also made the bugfix to adjust the KRunner DBus definitions,
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/krunner/-/merge_requests/64. (we had
already discussed the issue)
* I am working on deprecating/porting the changedEntries signal from KNewStuff.
* While at it I will try to improve the model reloading in the KCMs on
these signals, otherwise it causes the UI to jump around.
* And a lot of work on the KF6 tasks, especially after the productive
Saturday session. But that is mostly frameworks and only smaller
porting stuff is in Plasma.

Arjen
* I have finished splitting ksystemstats out of ksysguard, I'll send a
mail today about the details once the repo gets moved to the plasma
group
* other than that, I finally managed to finish the new legend for
charts, so with 5.22 we should have much improved legends there

Kai Uwe
Notifications:
* Doesn't generate preview for empty sizes anymore
    * Seems to fix various glitches I've had with thumbnails not
rendering properly
* "Do not disturb while screen sharing" on Wayland was merged \o/
* When trashing file, close notification, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/786
* Want to add a slight delay/compression to "immediate" job feedback
to ensure first update() call is still shown atomically to the user
* Want to add custom speed calculation in notification applet because
we have "processed bytes" and KIO's jobs are calculated on a per-job
basis so you never get any speed/remaining time when copying many
smaller files
* Want to add job info to notification tooltip, so when you minimize a
job you can still get its state by hovering the notification applet,
rather than just seeing "1 running job"
plasma-browser-integration:
* Now shows a badge on the toolbar when there is a player, to make
user aware there's now options to disable media controls
* Worked on adding wildcard support for blacklist (so you we can ship
e.g. *.zoom.us or whatever)
    * Need to think about some way to handle priorities (e.g. specific
trumps wildcard etc)
* Job tracker ported to KUiServerV2JobTracker and now shows hint when
download was blocked on being "unsafe"
Other:
* Helper sitter fix a bug causing SMART to show a scary warning when
it was in fact not enabled on the drive
* Handle absolute paths in Ark, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/ark/-/merge_requests/30 (not sure if
this is right but I can't think of anything else)
* Fixed a blocking statvs in KFilePlacesModel in conjunction with KDE Connect

Marco
# Plasma Mobile
* Horizontal homescreen scrolling refactor on invent!
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-phone-components/-/merge_requests/153
* It still needs further componentization for an "homescreen building toolkit"
# Plasma
* updated review of user feedback in systemsettings landing page with
descriptions of the feedback level
* if there are no objections, would merge the per resolution layouts
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/717
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/385