Monday meeting notes for 28/9/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 12:19:43 BST 2020

Carl:
Documentation:
Zren upstreamed his Plasma widget documentation:
https://invent.kde.org/documentation/develop-kde-org/-/merge_requests/20
next is
Info Center:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kinfocenter/-/merge_requests/13
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kinfocenter/-/merge_requests/12

David R
 - Set desktopName when restoring applications for correct cgroup info
and whatnot
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/283
- fix binding loop inside legend
    https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kquickcharts/-/merge_requests/22
- Wrote new power plugin
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/ksysguard/-/merge_requests/38
- Add bug report action to systemsettings and kinfocenter
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/systemsettings/-/merge_requests/17
- Don't draw an arrow in systemsettings when categories only have one item
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/systemsettings/-/merge_requests/18
- Always draw sidebar in plasmoid config dialogs
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/162

David E
* I investigated the issue with QtScreens getting all messed up
* and managed to write what was happening in the upstream bug report
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86604?focusedCommentId=528811&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-528811
* there was a patch from the Qt guy, but it still arguably needs some work
* I also did a lazy-ass workaround in plasmashell that I would like opinions on
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/292
* On the subject of workarounds, I also worked round 2 separate Nvidia
+ systemsettings issues:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/systemsettings/-/merge_requests/21
* please comment on the review with suggestions on what I should do
* we had the "beta testing day" last Thursday. Results were productive
and useful, but not very overwhelming
* there weren't many people, probably needs better promo, worth do try
again next time

Nico:
* I mostly worked on KAccounts stuff:
* Fix owncloud login:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kaccounts-providers/-/merge_requests/2
* Make own/nextcloud login urls more resilient:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kaccounts-providers/-/merge_requests/3
* Overhaul Nextcloud UI:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kaccounts-providers/-/merge_requests/8
* Convert license headers to SPDX
* Some code cleanup
* Gave accounts KCM a good implicit size
https://invent.kde.org/network/kaccounts-integration/-/merge_requests/6
* Brought back the owncloud storage service:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kaccounts-providers/-/merge_requests/9
* Port service list in KCM to ScrollViewKCM and improve delegates:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kaccounts-integration/-/merge_requests/7

Bhushan
* I had been working on single thing last week :
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/293
* This when finished would bring the vkb support for gtk3 apps :)
* Currently however I am stuck on one thing that MR have comment about

Fabian:
* I've only got to report that my pbi MR to fix firefox is still
waiting for kbroulik's initial response
* kio-fuse: https://invent.kde.org/system/kio-fuse/-/merge_requests/35
for the symlink bug reported by kbroulik
https://invent.kde.org/system/kio-fuse/-/merge_requests/36 for
asaoutkin's FileJobPool

Arjen:
* last week I spent a bunch of time digging around plasma's svg cache
* initially to figure out what kind of performance improvements we
could get since we found with profiling that the svg cache is a
bottleneck due to the way cache ids are generated
* but then also to fix a bug
* my conclusion of that entire thing is that the caching needs a
pretty big rework
* one major issue is that the cache has no idea about what it is caching
* so everything else needs to do the change tracking
* not sure how easy it is to do things in steps, but it might be
possible to do some things separately
* such as moving the caching stuff out of theme, leaving the methods
there to only forward to the actual cache instance
* anyway, another issue is that apparently the cache ids are used to
store information that the svg class uses
* which makes replacing the cache id generation really hard
* I'd also like to discuss
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/-/merge_requests/22
* I see no cleaner solution there than the introduced attached property
[agreement was to not export api for now and add it only when actual
use cases arise]

Marco:
# system monitor
* Merged the treeview mode for the process view \o/
* workaround for https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86850 in
KDescendantProxyModel
* workaround for auto exclusive checkable actions
# Kirigami
* make mobilemode support custom title delegates
* resume work on the different theme per engine work
* expose a status property in Icon (loading,null,error,ready)
* api to enable/disable the header coloring
# Plasma
* fix click on taskbar thumbnails on wayland
* investigating on the wrong color in systemsettings (due to header
color group work) will use the api to use the old color as before, at
lease for 5.20, maybe in the future it can have a full header but not
now
* plus one thing that i wanted to add
* on this meeting format: to make it more effective should we change
things a bit?
* lately there are a bit more discussions rather than dry "i've done that lists"
<ahiemstra_> maybe once a month?