Adding Bitbar functionality to Plasma

Lasath Fernando kde at lasath.org
Mon Sep 21 18:22:18 BST 2020

Heh, Thanks!

I'm not sure how much we want to treat it as a super first class citizen,
> given output will never look as native or be as dynamic.
> I don't think we want any of our main applets written in it, but
> supporting it like we support the web slice as a plasmoid, seems pretty
> sensible.

Depends on what you define as "first class citizen". I really think it
should have the same quality and visual polish as the main applets.
However, I agree it doesn't make sense to write any main applets in this
protocol: it's a different use case.
This is for applets that explicitly don't want to control/own their UI;
they just have a rough list of content and want Plasma to take care of
making it look pretty.

Some examples I use it for:

   - List of pull requests on Azure DevOps.
   - List of assigned bugs from Azure Boards.
   - Weather forecast excerpt showing if conditions are good enough for
   flying with a private pilot license.

I think the original author of Kargos used it to display an RSS feed.

Currently it's an applet right? It seems like a sensible design as it
> shields the shell from caring about the applet internals which I like.
> What are the specific problems with this that we want to address?

Right, applet it is. In that case, what's the current guidance on doing
business logic in QtQuick (Js) vs C++?
Should I create a native plugin for it? IIRC the instructions for that were
a bit cryptic, so I might bug you on IRC when I get stuck.
What times are best for you? 9-5 BST?

If the guidance is to do as logic in QtQuick as possible, I'll still need
help with reading the files.
AFAICT the only way to interact with the filesystem from QML was the
"filebrowser" data engine, which I could not get to work.

In the meantime, I want to confirm that these are still the
correct/up-to-date instructions to follow regarding setting up a dev
environment:
https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development#Plasma_Desktop
It suggested using kdesrc-build for handling dependencies. I run Arch Linux
which has the latest released version of everything. That means I don't
need to bother with it, right?

Cheers,
Lasath