Predefining default keybindings for Plasma

Oliver Freyermuth o.freyermuth at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:47:11 BST 2020

(in case I ask at the wrong place, please redirect me)

Dear Plasma devs,

I am struggling to set up Plasma automatedly and preconfigured for a few hundred nodes and users, and hit quite some unexpected issues, and mostly had to resort to scripting (hence asking here).
While I could work around most of these (if you are interested, check the end of the mail), I could not yet find a solution yet to set default keybindings for new users.

Here's what I tried, without success:

1) /etc/xdg/kglobalshortcutsrc
   This seems to be ignored, it seems kglobalshortcutsrc is not a layered but a "simple" configuration file.

2) Adjusting ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc via Plasma Shell scripting.
   This does not work, since kglobalaccel seems to start to early and cache the bindings, and writes them out when it exists.
   I found no way to push settings into kglobalaccel via Plasma shell scripting.

3) Writing a shell script which uses kwriteconfig5 to adjust kglobalshortcutsrc, and call:
    Before execution: kquitapp kglobalaccel
    After execution: kglobalaccel5 & disown
   and inhibiting itself after running once. Quite ugly, but this "works" when called by the user.
   I tried to place this in the default autostart applications, but it seems that then it fails :-(.

Is there any good way to set default keybindings for Plasma for a large installation without accessing the user home directories (which I neither want nor can, they are hosted elsewhere)?

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers,
	Oliver

PS: Please keep me in CC, I'm not subscribed to the list. Thanks!

---

Other issues I had, for those who are curious:
- For my earlier question, after finally getting Plasma Shell Scripting to realign widgets by moving them to a temporary panel and then moving them back in order, and then making Plasma crash in ::corona(),
  I gave up and just patched the default-theme's default panel, which works reliably...).
- For setting default favourites in Kickoff, I am using Plasma Shell Scripting to edit org.kde.plasma.kickoff's Favorites and I then set favoritesPortedToKAstats to false to re-trigger the migration.
  Quite nasty, other ideas welcome.
- To activate system tray widgets, I use Plasma Shell Scripting to find the containment for org.kde.plasma.systemtray (SystrayContainmentId), then add the widgets to "extraItems". Other ideas welcome.