plasma-systemmonitor in kdereview

Arjen Hiemstra ahiemstra at heimr.nl
Fri Oct 2 16:44:11 BST 2020

On Friday, 2 October 2020 17:10:36 CEST Carl Schwan wrote:
> Le jeudi, octobre 1, 2020 11:36 AM, Arjen Hiemstra <ahiemstra at heimr.nl> a
écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd hereby like to announce that plasma-systemmonitor is in kdereview. It
> > can be found at https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-systemmonitor .
> >
> > plasma-systemmonitor is a new system monitor UI built with Kirigami. It
> > makes use of the ksystemstats daemon and the faces system for system
> > monitor plasmoids that were both introduced in Plasma 5.19.
> >
> > Our current plan is to do a "preview release" alongside Plasma 5.20, then
> > have it be an official part of Plasma with 5.21.
>
> Plasma System Monitor looks quite good, but it doesn't look like it is
> navigable with the keyboard only. I know that some of the issues are caused
> by Kirigami and Qml but it looks like many custom components can't get any
> focus with tab and need the mouse to work.

That's a good point, I think for a first pass I'd ensure that normal "viewing"
works. Making the edit mode work with keyboard is going to be another thing
entirely since that very much relies on drag and drop currently.

> It is also normal for Table component to import private api from
> qqc2-desktop-style framework?

Normal, no. Required, yes unfortunately. When this was written there was no
header control available. And even now if we port to HorizontalHeaderView we'd
probably need the private import since the API of HorizontalHeaderView is
severely lacking, so we'd need to replace the delegate which means we'd need
some way of getting the system-styled header item.