D29501: Use left-aligned thickened panel with IOTM populated with some apps by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 26 15:31:59 BST 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  In D29501#669458 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29501#669458>, @ndavis wrote:

  > That's a good point. Is there a way to choose a different default layout based on info about the user's setup? I think choosing layouts based on the user's hardware may be necessary to get defaults that please most people while still being touch friendly in contexts where that is needed.

  Yes, apparently there is. See https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/10/diffs

  And on that subject, it seems like doing this for ultra-widescreen displays would have some benefit since there a horizontal panel is sort of absurd because it's like 90% empty space most of the time, and the things you want to click on are waaaaaay far away in the corners. See also T13156 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T13156>.

  However I still think this makes sense as the default for everything. It's notably better for certain use cases (touchscreen, ultra widescreen display) and IMO no worse for others.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop