Sunsetting PowerDevil's XRandrBrightness

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue May 26 13:35:39 BST 2020

Hi Kai.

Kai Uwe Broulik - 20.05.20, 21:31:07 CEST:
> PowerDevil has two (three, if you count DDC) means of controlling
> screen brightness:
>
> * Writing to sysfs (/sys/class/backlight and /sys/class/leds)
> * Using XRandr output property
>
> XRandR is doing X calls and we have some lovely animated screen
> brightness change. However, the UPower "backend" in PowerDevil is
> quite a spaghetti class and having multiple ways to control LEDs
> doesn't help.

Read your blog post and tried the command there:

% QT_LOGGING_RULES='powerdevil=true' /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/
org_kde_powerdevil

gave no output whatsoever.

However as I am using the "modesetting" driver I bet it won't use
XRandR.

Also that is on Debian Sid where KDE Frameworks currently is still at
5.62. Sandro works on 5.70 currently. ThinkPad T520 with Intel
Sandybridge graphics.

Best,
--
Martin