Gitlab workboards

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Tue May 19 05:59:32 BST 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 07:08:59AM +0530, Bhushan Shah wrote:
> >   - Do we want to keep issues enabled and use them for "tasks"?
> >   - Do we want to have separate "tasks" boards under invent.kde.org/teams ?
> > Nico: vote for 2
> > Marco: vote for 2

I am in highly favor of the option 1, for several reasons:

If I look at current workboard,

> https://phabricator.kde.org/project/board/35/

We have giant mix of tasks in there, we have all kind of tasks,

- Repo specific tasks: like https://phabricator.kde.org/T12248 which is
  clearly powerdevil task.
- Tasks which extend to two or three repositories:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T11670 : extends to libkscreen, kscreen and
  kwin repos.
- Tasks which are there for release tracking:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T11939
- Tasks which have no association whatsover with any of Plasma repos but
  different tooling being used by Plasma:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T6599
- Tasks which are more towards team building and does not directly
  affect any of repositories:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T12906

In my opinion all tasks can be split into this 5 categories, if I've
missed anything please let me know.

So now if we try to translate this to option 2, we would end up with
roughly same task boards as we have as a "projects" and giant board with
dump of everything.

But with gitlab migration we have a choice to improve this process,

If we go with option 1 [use actual repositories for task tracking],

- Tasks which are strictly related to one single repository go into that
  repository itself.
- Tasks which are common to let's say two or three repositories, we can
  either try to split them into much smaller subtasks per repositories
  or we put them into a dummy repository called plasma/tasks
- Tasks which have no direct association with any of Plasma repositories
  move to specific repo outside of Plasma/ repository but keep "Plasma"
  tag. So it can be referred/searched
- Tasks which are there for releaes tracking are better used with the
  milestone feature of the Gitlab rather than project boards.
- Tasks which are specific to e.g team building and does not have a
  specific repository associated go into plasma/tasks repository.

In practice how this would work is we would have some tags, for example,

~VDG
~Plasma
~Wayland
~X11
~Mobile
~Convergence
~KF6
... more

(Those are group/instance level labels so all repository can use them),
each repository specific tasks would move to that repository and other
remaining tasks can move into plasma/tasks repository, which we can
later sort into proper repository specific tasks or keep some depending
on what makes sense.

This would IMO allow to provide better filtering as well organization of
the tasks rather than creating "virtual" projects which have no
association with repositories.

> # Option 2:
[Yes I messed up numbering here, this is actually option #1]:
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma (group)

> # Option 1:
[Yes I messed up numbering here, this is actually option #2]
> https://invent.kde.org/teams/plasma/ (group)

Opinions and questions welcome!

--
Bhushan Shah