New Plasma modules and localization

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat May 16 15:22:51 BST 2020

> > It is sad, however, to see some regressions in translations. I cannot
> test by
> > myself but there are reports that some parts of the new KWin Rules KCM
> are
> > untranslatable:
> >
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D29413
> >
> > Can somebody test if it's true?

Reading the code I can't immediately see any reason why it would be true.

> > The new ksysguard translations are broken. Extraction scripts do not
> work.
> >
> > $XGETTEXT *.cpp -o ksysguard_plugins_global.pot
> >  $XGETTEXT *.cpp -o ksysguard_plugins_process.pot
> >
> > should be replaced with
> >
> > $XGETTEXT `find -name \*.cpp` -o $podir/ksysguard_plugins_global.pot
> > $XGETTEXT `find -name \*.cpp` -o $podir/ksysguard_plugins_process.pot

Indeed. That's on me. Sorry.

Will push when git KDE works again.
Thanks

> > The root localization of libksysguard is broken as well.
> >
> > Messages.sh extracts to KSysGuardSensorFaces.pot, QML code contains
> something
> > like i18nd("KSysGuardSensorFaces", "Remove") but CMakeLists.txt points
> > add_definitions(-DTRANSLATION_DOMAIN=\"ksysguard_faces\")

Shouldn't be a huuge issue, only the c++ code uses the add_definitions and
that's for anything UI user facing.
Will fix anyway.

> > What should be used for this to work as expected?
> >
> > (Spotted by Victor Ryzhykh)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your answers.
>
> Plasma people, please test translations using the x-test locale before any
> change.

Can someone link to some docs on how to do that?
I can find are some docs for how to actually run Messages.sh and confirm
there's some files and some docs on how to run with x-test after
translations are downloaded.

Regards

David