D29615: Nice all threads of multithreaded programs

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 12 16:10:48 BST 2020

davidedmundson accepted this revision.
davidedmundson added a comment.

  > Still, I think this behavior is actually the only one usable,

  Indeed.  A user shouldn't be expected to know what each thread is doing inside an app, there isn't enough metadata to do anything useful there anyway. Especially with use of threadpools.

  FWIW,  I've been taking this logic further in the other direction from looking at threads. From 5.19 spawned apps will each have their own cgroup. The intention being to get to a point (5.20 or so) where we can do management on an entire cgroup (and therefore app with multi processes and threads) all at once. The management is way nicer, the UX is nicer, and we won't have this sort of problem.

  ------

  > Note: this only changes the behavir for remote computers. Local use needs a similar fix in libksysguard.

  Yeah, that's the more useful one.

INLINE COMMENTS

> ProcessList.c:657
> +    goto failure;
> +  /* NOTE: this is racy; threads may die or be spawned during our
> +     iteration. Inthat case, we either fail with an error or fail to

heh, our use of PID is already racey

REPOSITORY
  R106 KSysguard

BRANCH