D29501: Use left-aligned thickened panel with IOTM populated with some apps by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu May 7 13:40:02 BST 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  I don't know if I agree that "Looks like Windows" is a part of Plasma's brand identity, or should be. If anything, we're like //ancient// Windows, with a Windows-95-style Task Manager that everyone else has since moved away from; even Windows itself has used an Icons-Only Task manager with a thickened panel for the past decade.

  However if that's your thing, arguably this makes us more like Modern Windows (as does D27845 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27845>) with the only difference being the screen edge of the panel. IMO this is really not rocket surgery for a person to figure out even if they've only ever used Windows 10 for their whole life. It's basically the exact same thing as the default Windows taskbar, just on a different screen edge.

  I don't think it makes sense to wait for kuserfeedback metrics before touching this. For one, we don't have those metrics and collecting them will take years due to the bureaucracy around changing what kuserfeedback collects and rolling it out to a statistically significant share of our userbase. Once we have those metrics, how will they help us? I can guarantee you that they aren't going to show then 35% or more of our users already use a left edge panel with an IOTM on it. So we'll end up getting data showing that maybe 5% of users do and 80% of users haven't changed the default panel at all. Or alternatively the data might show than 3% already do and 70% have not changed the defaults at all. But how will this help us make a decision? It won't, really.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop