D29365: Increase values for touchpad acceleration that can be set from kcm libinput UI

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 5 10:11:40 BST 2020

ndavis added a comment.

  I had a look at the documentation for libinput pointer acceleration (https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/pointer-acceleration.html). For anyone following this conversation:

  - `0` is the default
  - when greater than `0`, acceleration starts sooner and pointer movement increases by larger factors
  - when less than `0`, acceleration starts later and pointer movement increases by smaller factors until pointer movement does not increase with mouse movement speed. The point where that happens is somewhere in the range of greater than `-0.75` and less than `-0.5`.

  In D29365#663774 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29365#663774>, @kurmikon wrote:

  > With percentage there's no need to set a slider in my opinion. It's intuitive that 0 and 100 and the limits. That implementation would be good with the real values libinput handles for "AccelSpeed" option, showing the slider moves between -1 and 1, see here <https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput>.

  Since understanding the way values match acceleration speeds is kind of tricky here, I don't think making the value a percentage would be very helpful. Only people who read the documentation will actually know what to expect from the values, so I think it would be best to show values that match the documentation.

  > But if that case @ngraham will say the ticks are too many for the slider and we lose accuracy. There's no way to build a slider like the brightness one (plus a spinbox) inside power management kcm with real values and without ticks? A format function to round on at least two decimal will be given.

  In the Display Configuration KCM, the slider and spin box in the screenshot have different increments. The slider has increments of 25% to quickly give values that should work fine for most people. The spinbox has increments of 6.25% for those that want finer control.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop