Monday meeting notes for 4/5/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 4 11:50:47 BST 2020

Nico:
Kirigami:
* Bundle some missing icons for Android https://phabricator.kde.org/D29276
    Diff 29276 "Bundle icons for inline messages" [Closed]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D29276
* Fixed excessive padding in scrollable pages https://phabricator.kde.org/D29308
    Diff 29308 "Fix excessive right padding in scrollable page"
[Closed] https://phabricator.kde.org/D29308
* Investigated what seemed a regression from it, but appears to be a
Qt bug. Still need to do some testing and make  a report
    log for review https://phabricator.kde.org/D29268
* Diff 29268 "[WIP] Add Date/Time dialog" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D29268
Plasma:
* Suppress volume change sound when max is reached, a bit
controversial. there seems to be a way forward, but it's going to be
trickier to implement https://phabricator.kde.org/D29279
    Diff 29279 "Don't play volume feedback if max volume is reached"
[Accepted] https://phabricator.kde.org/D29279
* Respect fallbackSearchPath in KIconLoader https://phabricator.kde.org/D29390
    Diff 29390 "Respect QIcon::fallbackSearchpaths()" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D29390
* Notifications:
* Killed the godawful KPassivePopup fallback and a bunch of code with
it https://phabricator.kde.org/D29021
    Diff 29021 "Remove checks for notification service and fallback to
KPassivePopup" [Closed] https://phabricator.kde.org/D29021
* Remove the word galago from the code https://phabricator.kde.org/D29336
    Diff 29336 "Remove galago from method/variable naming" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D29336
* Began work on replacing setWidget() with setWindow()
https://phabricator.kde.org/D29391
    Diff 29391 "Introduce setWindow and CloseWhenWindowActivated"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D29391
* noted down more thoughts https://phabricator.kde.org/T11875
    Task 11875 "KNotification v2" [Open,Needs Triage] {KF6}
https://phabricator.kde.org/T11875
Other:
* Tested KTrip on Gnome
* Ubuntu doesn't ship a good QStyle/QPT by default :/
* Fedora does, so things are much better there by default
* Kirigami toolbar has issues with styles where actions have a
background, the background overflows the toolbar
* Some icons were missing, partially solved by switching to equivalent
icons with different names, but that doesn't scale :/
* e.g. Kirigami is missing the 'hamburger' icon
* We should consider shipping the subset of breeze icons Kirigami uses
as a fallback or else we will have broken apps
Should we install on the disk (where?) or bundle them in qrc like we
do on Android?

Kai Uwe:
Notifications:
* Fixed typo breaking notification grouping with different origin name
* Battery *low* notification is now also critical
    * Ensures you acknowledge it as an advance warning of battery running out
    * Previously you would only then see "critical" where you'd have 1
minute to find a charger :)
plasma-browser-integration:
* Now signals player gone in "pagehide" rather than "onbeforeunload"
    * The latter isn't fired for iframes. This fixes e.g. Tweetdeck
not noticing a player is gone
plasma-firewall:
* Some firewalld-related code review and refactoring
Other:
* Fixed crash in Task Manager in `QStringBuilder`, thanks fvogt
waiting on features pending for Plasma 5.19: https://phabricator.kde.org/D28021

Leinir
* I've got two patches waiting for reviews, and since they failed to
reach merge by the weekend, ghns for Global Themes and updates for all
ghns content will continue to not work correctly for another month...
* https://phabricator.kde.org/D28701 and
https://phabricator.kde.org/D29222 for those who feel like we need to
rectify that situation
    Diff 28701 "Add KPackage support to KNewStuffCore" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28701
    Diff 29222 "Fix update auto selection" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D29222
* I realise I can do things like "This is going in unless people
reject it in the next few days", but also that's not really how we're
supposed to work, so...

David E:
Firstly, an announcement
* The kwayland split has landed
* kwayland-server is now in plasma, kwin is all ported
* and so far nothing has broken \o/
* generally it's gone very smoothly (thanks to Aleix on that)
* There's a lot of fixes coming in rapidly on that
* As a reminder to all, this is our first release with a "feature freeze" again
which is on the 14th
* which will come round sooner than we expect!
* notmart> d_ed: so the big thing is trying to get the systemmonitor
stuff in before the 14th
* d_ed> yeah, I think that's important, it's sat on review. Lets go for it
* and using the new daemon + libs in just the applets is a good
transition for testing everything before touching the main app
* which we can do in 5.20
* and I hope to land my wayland clipboard changes for 5.19, though I
can maybe wait
* the kwin side is on review, I haven't updated klipper yet
* I'll delay the systemd stuff till at least after branching

Marco:
# Plasma
* continue with systemmonitor component, should really be in 5.19
* start with an "Header" group for KColorScheme D29232
* continued with the systemsettings kcm parameter support D29157 D29064
# Kirigami
* Start with porting the bigscreen image palette extraction to
kirigami with some api refactor, so far is in mart/imageColors
# Bigscreen
* made the image palette extractor work in a thread with QtConcurrent