D28360: cmake: make xsettingsd check an option

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 28 07:48:33 GMT 2020

kossebau added a comment.

  In D28360#636615 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28360#636615>, @eszlari wrote:

  > In D28360#636610 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28360#636610>, @kossebau wrote:
  >
  > > Can you tell which packagers missed that this is a required runtime dependency?
  >

  > https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/kde-config-gtk-style
  >  https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kde-gtk-config/blob/master/f/kde-gtk-config.spec
  >  https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/kde-plasma/kde-gtk-config/kde-gtk-config-5.18.3.ebuild

  Okay, that is quite a few. Though, I wonder why they missed it. The current addition to RUNTIME dependency was only added post 5.18, right? And no-one told the  packagers explicitly otherwise by the usual ways (like in release announcement). They do read the cmake log though, and usually ask for that listing as RUNTIME dependency.

  So the current state with those packages might not be a reason for the proposed noisy approach.

  >> Edit: The proposed solution to make it simply required only forces packagers to add that and all what it pulls in as build-time dependency to their package creation, even if not needed for the package creation itself at all, which is not something packagers like (wastes resources on package build servers).
  >
  > But they don't have to! They can just compile with
  >
  >   cmake -DENABLE_XSETTINGSD=OFF ...

  They can, but `ENABLE_XSETTINGSD` needs extra work, makes things more complex, and the term is also misleading (does it enable support for the demon?). One has to know detais.

  All in all, this is an unusual approach. Best talk to packagers what they prefer and expect, instead of more complex code based on assumption of how packagers operate. Done that before myself, and pure listing as RUNTIME dep always worked out :)

REPOSITORY
  R99 KDE Gtk Configuration Tool