D28356: Applies the KDE1-style 'Classik' titlebar button icon style to Breeze

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 28 01:56:17 GMT 2020

ndavis added a comment.

  In D28356#636362 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28356#636362>, @paulm wrote:

  > > It has been part of the default kde look for many years (for all of oxygen and breeze) and forms a core part of our design brand. It's something where you can spot breeze on the first look. It seems MacOS can get away with colored circles without people complaining about usability.
  >
  > I would argue that usability is far more important than branding, and that KDE's brand is not that popular, especially since KDE4 there was a migration away from KDE, coinciding with the Oxygen theme; there are millions of more users that could be migrating to Linux than exist already. The fact that you are on a usable open-source GNU system should sell KDE more than anything! The main thing being imitated here is also KDE1! The arrows in Oxygen/Breeze remind me more of the Windows 3.1 brand and the usability problems I had when I first tried to use it.
  >
  > I for one would argue that MacOS also does this very badly, and that MacOS usability is not as great as the fanatics would attest.

  KDE4 was unpopular because it was heavier and buggier, not because the titlebar buttons were different. I think the current buttons are clear enough as they are and any change would be more of a branding change than a usability change. KDE 1 copied a lot from CDE, including the titlebar buttons. Windows 3.1 is different enough that we're pretty obviously not copying it. We also have a maximized symbol, unlike Windows 3.1.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze