D27938: 'Classic' and 'Redmond' button icon styles, configurable via Breeze window decoration settings

Paul McAuley noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 27 19:34:52 GMT 2020

paulm added a comment.

  I went ahead and made an Aurorae version of this <https://store.kde.org/p/1367676/> just to get a feel for how much I could theme. Overall, I am disappointed with Aurorae as Plasma is not as easily customizable as would first meet the eye. Aurorae alone will not let you customize the titlebar buttons as comprehensively as one would initially think:

  - The in-application Application Style also needs titlebar-like button icons as provided in Breeze kstyle (as menitoned by David above)
  - Aurorae does not obey system colour settings, especially for the titlebar itself
  - GTK applications which use the client side window decorations in the titlebar (e.g. Gedit) still require updated SVG files
  - GTK applications such as Chromium require updated .png files (generated with a Python script using Cairo libraries)
  - The icon theme also needs updated as the titlebar buttons are also referenced in other places throughout the UI such as in application menus, in right-click menus and notification pop-ups.

  It would be much better if you could change the titlebar button style in one place and would change it in all of these places. That obviously would require some serious rearchitecting of the theme engine.

  Therefore, working with what we have now, I also decided to be a bit more bold and try to propose this as the default theme in D28358 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28358> /  T12793 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T12793> - this implements the 'Classik' theme changes without the selection box. I also implemented all the changes in the places listed above (GTK and icons) to try and give complete consistency.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze