CI talk (Was: re: Manner in which kde-gtk-config development is conducted)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Mar 23 08:32:26 GMT 2020

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 6:53 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El diumenge, 22 de març de 2020, a les 16:12:04 CET, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
> > On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:49 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > El diumenge, 22 de març de 2020, a les 3:19:57 CET, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
> > >
> > > I still find this highly annoying since Fedora seems to be the only distro providing an almost full stack of mingw packages so for example i could add easily a mingw/windows CI to QCA using fedora but i can't because, for some reason i forgot, you are very unhappy with them.

> > This is why Fedora and all associated derivatives are banned from our systems.
>
> Is there a way they can be ever forgiven or is your plan to ban Fedora forever?

It would be reasonably difficult for them to be forgiven for their
transgressions i'm afraid, but not impossible.

It would need to be started from their side however, and they would
need to reform the way they operate in addition to apologise for their
severe failures.

> > > Cheers,
> > >   Albert
> >
> > With regards to MingW, the better way to do this would be by using
> > native MingW rather than cross compiling. Craft already uses MingW for
> > some dependencies, and Krita's binary factory builds use it as well so
> > most of the infrastructure for this is already in position.
>
> But that's something that requires magic and thus sysadmin to do it, a Fedora+mingw gitlab CI is something i can do myself.

Not too much magic - all the information on install locations can be
found within Craft / Craftmaster.
Once you have that you would just need to customise a pipeline
template for Mingw builds.

> But If you're volunteering to do a Windows gitlab CI for QCA I'll take it :)

Not at this stage - aside from you mentioning it here, and Krita
needing to use MingW for their builds I haven't come across any other
KDE project that was after/interested in MingW on Windows CI.
(I'm curious though as to why MingW on Windows is relevant given the
GCC on Linux coverage and MSVC on Windows that we already have)

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Cheers,
Ben