D27938: 'Classic' and 'Redmond' button icon styles, configurable via Breeze window decoration settings

Paul McAuley noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 9 03:08:52 GMT 2020

paulm added a comment.

  In D27938#624382 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27938#624382>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Can you add a bit more information about what your goal is here? You're adding different icon styles for the titlebar buttons that you can use while still using the Breeze window decoration theme? Before-and-after screenshots would help too. See also https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/Phabricator#Include_some_screenshots

  Hi Nate. Yes, the changes allow you to have different sets of icon styles for the titlebar buttons, while still keeping the overall Breeze style. I have updated the summary. The motivation to add it was mainly to add the 'Classic' button icon style, while also preserving the 'Oxygen' style of button icons for those who like it. I have added screenshots to the summary, and will maybe make another video to show it tomorrow.

  > Could you add a few words regarding why you think adding this option to the Breeze window decoration theme is right right place for this, as opposed to creating a new window decoration theme or just changing the default appearance? If there's something wrong with the current button appearance, maybe we should just change it. If not, and this is just to satisfy people with different aesthetic preferences, why not make a different window decoration theme?

  I added these options to the Breeze window decoration because I liked the overall Breeze style (shading, colours, configurability etc.), just not the icons for the window control buttons (I just don't think the 'Oxygen' style buttons are logical and often initially found myself confused by them, not knowing whether an up-arrow means restore or maximize, not knowing whether a down-arrow means minimize or restore, and not having a clue what the diamond means! I tried to replace it with buttons that visually describe the outcome of the click). However, I know there are some people attached to the 'Oxygen'-style buttons so didn't just want to arrogantly remove them or arrogantly change defaults without some discussion or demonstration (which I hope this provides).

  With regards to why not a separate theme, that was actually my original plan, but I wanted to use Breeze as the base. When I asked 3 years ago if there was an Aurorae theme for Breeze that I could edit I was told there was not and that it was just C++; is this still the case today? Can the Breeze theme be easily forked and redistributed in the GetHotNewStuff dialogue box? If so, how, and where to share? I also wanted to change the Application Style as well as the Window Decorations (i.e. the style of buttons to dock/undock and close etc. within applications with dockable panes). Can you easily fork, redistribute and download new Application Styles in the GetHotNewStuff dialogue box as well?

  With regards to why not just change the default titlebar button icons. Yes, of course I do indeed think the default titlebar button icons should be changed to what I have called 'Classic' by default :). However, I do realise that defaults can be contentious things that can cause a lot of debate!! With this patch people can at least see the 'Classic' style for themselves and discuss before committing to anything new.

  I also think the tiny square minimize icon with 'Classic' visually fits in nicely with the Icons Only Task Manager.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze