Problems in KWayland causes by API and ABI compatibility promises

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Fri Mar 6 07:55:02 GMT 2020

Am 05.03.20 um 17:27 schrieb Nate Graham:
> What are the known users of KWayland outside of KWin? Are there any?

Quick lxr suggests there's actually a bunch:

In Plasma (for which we could do an "integration" library without
Frameworks guarantees in plasma-workspace, similar to e.g.
LibTaskManager or LibKWorkspace):
=========

- XDG Desktop Portal Wayland Integration
- PowerDevil for DPMS (display power management) on Wayland
- Plasmashell (for panels, desktops, logout dialog, task manager,
virtual desktops, potentially global menu and much more)
- Plasma phone and nano components
- KRunner
- KScreen
- KScreenLocker
- KInfoCenter (some wayland info module presumably)
- Oxygen and Breeze (probably the "start system resize" which Qt 5.15
has upstream iirc and window shadows which KWindowSystem can now do)

- KWayland Integration (plug-ins for stuff in frameworks like KIdleTime,
KWindowSystem that cannot depend on KWayland). It's not a consumable
API, though, just plug-ins.

Frameworks:
===========

Looks like just Plasma Dialog in Plasma-Framework, for which I believe
KWayland was turned into a Framework to begin with.

Other:
======

- Spectacle
- Yakuake
- Latte Dock (presumably similar uses as plasmashell)

Some of the above uses potentially have Qt upstream and/or KWindowSystem
API nowadays without the need to use lowlevel KWayland calls. I think
Vlad was porting away a bunch of now superfluous KWayland uses in e.g.
Breeze.

Cheers
Kai Uwe