D27764: Update L2TP to NetworkManager-l2tp 1.8.0 features

Douglas Kosovic noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 4 07:16:14 GMT 2020

dkosovic added a comment.

  I'm of mixed minds on the group boxes.

  With L2TP/IPsec connection setup instructions for macOS and iOS, they typically have screenshots of the "User Authentication" and "Machine Authentication" settings. Many Linux users try to match what they see for other platforms to what they need to enter. A typical user probably wouldn't know that machine authentication is IPsec authentication, although if it is a pre-shared key it doesn't need to be spelt out, for certificates it can get a bit more confusing between user and machine certificates. But having said that, I did explicitly use "User Certificate" and "Machine Certificate" labels, perhaps most users would realize "Machine Certificate" corresponds to "Machine Authentication"?

  I got the idea of using a checkable group box as the existing PPP settings dialog used one, but granted it didn't have nested group boxes. I was trying to imply with the Advanced group box that it is optional and should only be touched if you know what you are doing.

REPOSITORY
  R116 Plasma Network Management Applet