D24223: [RFC] Add global themes that mimic other platforms' workflows

Jason Playne noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 29 05:46:26 BST 2020

Boxie added a comment.

  In D24223#675679 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24223#675679>, @felixernst wrote:

  > In D24223#675589 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24223#675589>, @Boxie wrote:
  >
  > > As others have mentioned - Let's not mimic other desktop environments (there are plenty of dragons and devils hiding there).
  >

  > Are there really?

  Yes, because (for example) if you are coming from mac and choose the apple theme, you are expecting it to work like the apple environment, from shortcut keys, specific placement of items and look/feel of various components - even apps like dolphin not looking the same would be jarring.

  What I believe would be a better way forward is some layouts using existing plasma stuff. - for example:

  - A "Laptop Layout" that has just a side menu with icon switcher because vertical space is at a premium.
  - A "Compact"? layout that has a global menu across the top
  - The "Traditional" layout with the app window switcher across the bottom

  These themes would allow easy access to some "defaults" that users can them customise further if they want to.

REPOSITORY
  R114 Plasma Addons