Sprint notes - PowerDevil

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Mon Jun 15 12:23:32 BST 2020

Find below the sprint notes for the "PowerDevil" session. We decided to
broaden the scope a little from PowerDevil KCM to overall PowerDevil
discussion:

Cheers
Kai Uwe

* KCM is all about plugins but I'd suggest making a static "coherent" UI
* figure out disabling vs "don't touch" (e.g. screen brightness
shouldn't be messed with all the time when plugging AC)
* dim brightness dims in multiple steps, why?
* Add turn screen off AND lock option - ask VDG how to do that with good UX
* figure out "restoring state" rather than overwriting when you switch
between profiles, e.g. don't always mess with screen brightness if user
manually changed it...
* the "run script" stuff is pretty much a workaround for us not having a
proper "do stuff on certain events" KCM. Should remove the UI in the kcm
and just document how to set these scripts in some wiki.

* move bluetooth/wifi etc to bluedevil/plasma-nm
* make it smarter, dont disable if something is paired or I dont know

* UPower backend which is not exactly backend, and also does not use
anything upower specific much
* kill XRandrBrightness control
* multi screen brightness support - FN keys prefer laptop screen and
then you have multiple sliders for each screen or something

* can we show something like "app xyz is using a lot of power" right
now? do we also get hardware info? does cgroups help? The wakeups stuff
we had in Energy Info seems to be disabled on most kernels these days

* login1 inhibition support:
	* listen to inhibitors change and translate them to internal powerdevil
state, just track them like xdg inhibition

* Wake lock support for mobile:
	* when user activity is happening, register a wakelock, drop when it
hits idle timeout and let the kernel handle sleep/wakeup