Sprint notes - widget and plasma styling in Plasma 6

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 09:59:47 BST 2020

We all agree we should have a custom QStyle and QtQuick Controls style that
can load a theme written in some declarative text + image format then we
use the native toolkit support to render that in the best way. Only this
would be supported.

However:
 - Realistically this is not feasible for Plasma 6.0
 - We should go as-is for Plasma 6.0 with our QtQuick plasma style and
QtQuick desktop style which will do QPainter things and upload large
textures. Maybe Qt6's new API can help, maybe not.

This still leaves the problem of plasma configuration where we want the
desktop view in the same process as where the QQC2 theme is the plasma
style.

 - Continue using Plasma imports to explicitly set the theme. We
universally decided we don't want this in Plasma 6.

  - something clever with QUrlInterceptor. This may need changes to
QUrlInterceptor, so we should look into it early

 - Run config UIs as a separate process

 - just use the plasma theme in configs.

All have pros and cnos.

David