kde-gtk-config repository name change

Mikhail Zolotukhin zomial at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 1 12:45:37 BST 2020

Hello,

I am the de facto maintainer of the kde-gtk-config repository. As of now the name of this repository on GitLab is "KDE GTK Configurator" and the description is "Syncs KDE settings to GTK applications". I think there could be a better name and a description for the project. Current one has a couple of issues:

1. Current repository name itself does not show the purpose of the things, that it contains. Why it exists? What problem it actually solves?
2. The description is not accurate. It's not only about syncing some kde (maybe Plasma?) settings to GTK. It also provides a way to set a GTK theme in Plasma.
3. The name does not show its relation to Plasma and the fact, that that "Configurator" only works in that desktop envinroment.

Actually the code's job in that repository is providing a smooth experience for GTK applications in Plasma, so that they looks more native, in other words it integrates GTK into Plasma.

Given all of that I think the better name for the repository would be "plasma-gtk-integration", On GitLab it could be called "Plasma GTK Integration" with the description "Components necessary to integrate GTK applications into the Plasma Desktop".

What do people think of that change? Does anyone have any suggestions to improve the renaming?

Best regards,
Mikhail Zolotukhin