dipping a toe in waywater? :)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 16:10:41 BST 2020

Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:

> Is it Mac OS?

No, nor a bird, nor a tree ;)

Even I wouldn't dream of testing KWin/Wayland on Mac. Just yet - I do dream of
Wayland supporting Darwin but there a few too many dependencies on the Linux
kernel for that (in KWin too, IIRC) that should be resolved first. A different
topic that should probably be discussed elsewhere (including why you'd want to
do this - there is at least 1 good reason).

No, this is just my personal take on a by-now venerable install that I've turned
into something like a rolling release. FWIW, support for different DEs through
the login manager was always flaky on this install, IIRC it only ever worked
correctly with the fallback option that isn't really a DE - and that was never
an issue for me.

Aleix's blog post did help; I must never have tried to start kwin_wayland
without any arguments, or with a command to execute. That said, `kwin_wayland --
exit-with-session konsole` gives me ... an X11 konsole.

And applications that I start with `-platform wayland` aren't decorated, as if
kwin is either a WM or else a wayland compositor, but not the former inside the
latter... Which is actually what I was hoping to get!