D26773: Added option to blur background on active window

Niccolò Venerandi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 19 22:32:41 GMT 2020

niccolove added a comment.

  Yes, I *DID* take some code from Zren plugin and wrote some other. My intention was absolutely not to steal his code, I want to be clear about that: I had opened an issue on his repo asking him to upstream the code, but then I thought that it was probably simple enough that I could figure out how it could be implemented in master based on his code, and get back to him with the patch directly to make the whole process easier for him. I did not do that yet because this patch is missing some stuff, my intention was not to already submit the patch for landing, I tried to make that clear in the summary because I couldn't find the phab button to flag it as 'not done'. I opened the diff because I had already worked on it for 4/5 hours and did not want to keep changes on local, and keeping the open diff helps me remember what I'm working on, plus I wanted to know if there were objections to implementing the feature before spending more time on it.

  I now realize that submitting an half-finished task based on the zren code without much explanation gave the wrong impression, I'm sorry about this, and I hope that the explanation above clarifies it. My bad: I was really tired, in a hurry when submitting, and I had spent the whole afternoon on this (even reusing parts of zren's code, yes) so I just wanted to stop and study. Next time I'll be more careful.

  This said (IF ZREN WILL GIVE PERMISSION TO USE HIS CODE, of course!) I don't like the idea of doing a kwin effect instead because:

  - Since this directly affects just the wallpaper /desktop, I think that an user would expect this to be in the wallpaper/desktop configuration page. It is just a tickbox that can go inline with the 'Get new wallpapers...' but to the left, so it uses no space and does not clutter the UI
  - Having it in the kwin effects section, along many many other effects, would bring down drastically the discoverability of the option, which is a bit of a pity since it's the kind of thing that you don't usually look for, but might enjoy once you've seen it.

  Also, less important but I'm not sure at all I can manage to write a desktop effect about this, especially since (afaik) it uses  js plugins instead of QML, and I'm not sure how the blur could be implemented there.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace