D26530: ScrollView: Do not overlay scrollbars over contents

Konrad Materka noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 10 19:28:11 GMT 2020

kmaterka added a comment.

  Example when current way looks bad: D22176 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22176>. We can live with that and add margins/padding when needed. Or not :)

  - Old-fashioned scrollbars are also bad, they look old and sometimes ugly (especially when list has different styles for odd and even rows). All other systems are moving (or moved) away from this.
  - Gnome way is not good either, at least from my experience. It is not intuitive, I'm always trying to scroll using this tiny bar, then realize that it shows bigger version on hover.
  - Disappearing is also not good, because it confuses user - sometimes they don't know that list has more elements, you need to hover a mouse over each widget to know the status. From the other side it is consistent with mobile, which is now a reference and most user are more accustomed. Maybe lists that have scrollbars (hidden) should have subtle fade-away effect on edges?

  Nothing is perfect. That's why I hate creating UIs :)

REPOSITORY
  R858 Qt Quick Controls 2: Desktop Style