D26530: ScrollView: Do not overlay scrollbars over contents

Marco Martin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 10 11:54:24 GMT 2020

mart added a comment.

  In D26530#590657 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26530#590657>, @ngraham wrote:

  > It might be worth comparing with what other platforms do:
  >
  > - Windows: old apps use real separated always-visible scrollbars; new apps use real overlay scrollbars that overlap content but disappear when not in use
  > - macOS: all apps use real overlay scrollbars that overlap content but disappear when not in use, but if you hate them you can replace them all with real separated always-visible scrollbars
  > - GNOME: real overlay scrollbars, but instead of disappearing entirely, they become so thin and tiny that they're almost invisible (though they are actually still slightly visible) and don't overlap any interactive UI elements
  >
  >   I would really like to do what macOS does, and allow you to choose between whether to use real overlay scrollbars or real always-visible scrollbars.

  I find the proposed patch a clear step back visually.
  of the alternatives there, the one i would prefer, is actually the Gnome way (perhaps with the line slightly more visible, the super thin thing has quite a value of saying where is in the scrolling, i would like that *even* on mobile)

REPOSITORY
  R858 Qt Quick Controls 2: Desktop Style