2 kirigami fixes for a point release

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 21:25:17 GMT 2020

On 2/18/20 2:13 PM, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data martedì 18 febbraio 2020 19:26:21 CET, Nate Graham ha scritto:
>
>> Neon is already an OS, whether or not you want to admit it. It's
>> installed from an ISO. A hardware vendor (Slimbook) is shipping it on
>
> Erm, where did I say that in my reply? ;)  I merely say that going "Neon or
> else unsupported" is a very downstream-hostile attitude,

...And where did I say that in my reply? ;) I think we should absolutely
continue to support all downstreams, not just Neon; that would be crazy!
:) This is in fact why I'm advocating for an LTS Frameworks release to
accompany the Plasma LTS release: to better support our non-Neon
downstreams who want to freeze on the Plasma LTS releases. Right now
we're pushing the job of backporting bugfixes to Frameworks onto them,
rather than making it easy by just giving them tarballs. We can argue
about what packagers should do, but the best way to get them to do that
is to make it easy for them. :)

> (Neon suffers from the same "LTS problem" for everything that's not KDE-made
> software, FTR, but that's not the issue I want to raise here)

Indeed, and that's the reason why I'm happy with Tumbleweed. I'm quite
on board with the seemingly prevailing opinion that discrete LTS
releases amount to a broken, defective model. It's just that for the
time being we have a product explicitly catering to distros using that
broken, defective model. It just seems like an awkward situation that
should be addressed one way or another, not left in tension indefinitely.

Nate