2 kirigami fixes for a point release

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Feb 18 03:03:05 GMT 2020

On 2020-02-16 14:43, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Maybe i explain myself wrongly, i'm not blaming distros at all.
>
> They made a decision, we/I may agree with them or not, that's *my/our* problem, what I was disagreeing is to us having to do extra work because someone elses (the distros) decision.

We already do this: it's called the Plasma LTS product. :-) It's been
specifically created to cater to various distros' desires for an
extended-support product they can ship to users of their own LTS releases.

But yes, I can also agree with more tests, better stability, moving to
GitLab so tests are run before merging, etc. I think we can all agree
with that.

However all the autotests in the world will not resolve the fundamental
incompatibility between the Plasma LTS product, which is built around
the release model of extended, ongoing bugfix releases, and Frameworks,
which is built around a rolling release model with no bugfix releases at
all.

If we don't want to change the incompatible way that Frameworks plugs
into an LTS Plasma release, and we think our opinions regarding how a
distro ought to ship software are valid, then I think it's time for us
to take the lead and produce a real reference distro that shows how *we*
think KDE software should be presented to users. Basically, we
acknowledge that Neon is already an actual OS--the "KDE OS"--and we
treat is as such, explicitly advertising it as a fully supported OS
suitable for users to install and vendors to ship hardware with (as in
fact Slimbook already does!). See also https://phabricator.kde.org/T12707.

If we don't want to be so opinionated regarding how software should be
released--perhaps out of fear of alienating sponsors that produce LTS
distros, for example--then maybe it's time to swallow our opinions,
respect the way that those distro partners currently ship software even
if we disagree with it, and adjust Frameworks to better support the
needs of their LTS releases.

Nate