Plasma 5.18 release post-mortem

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri Feb 14 18:53:19 GMT 2020

Some of the features or large changes that were added to 5.18 but caused
regressions made it in close to the cut-off, but many were committed
months ago. In particular 417424, 416695, 416358 were not the result of
rush jobs, but they got broken anyway.

I don't necessarily disagree though, but if we want to take a firm
stance on this, I think we need to branch much earlier. "Soft" feature
freezes don't cut it. We should maybe branch two months before the
release rather than one.

Also, we can't branch Frameworks due to their inherently rolling nature.
Some of the regressions were caused by issues in Frameworks (417351,
417127, 417511). What are we going to do about those? It's not feasible
to ask people to stop committing potentially risky changes to frameworks
near a Plasma release because Plasma isn't the only customer of Frameworks.

Nate