Monday meeting notes for 14/12/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 12:33:44 GMT 2020

David E
* This weekend I started writing a lanczos shader in QML
* lanczos being what kwin uses to make thumbnails resize but smoother
than just a simple rescale
* which will make our thumbnails in the panel match how they look in
the tab switcher
* both X11 and Wayland

Mikel Johnson
* so the big thing is that I've been working on a kickoff redesign for
quite a while and it's ready for review
* the link is https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/258
*  also RTL fix for tabgroup animation
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/170

Kai Uwe
plasma-browser-integration:
* Worked on a runner that searchers browser history, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/20
    * The "permissions required" page needs some design love :)
    * Unfortunately no Favicon support on Firefox
KRunner:
* Added custom pixmap support for DBus runner results, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/krunner/-/merge_requests/48
    * I merely copied the pixmap handling code from notification but
there's some format mismatch
    * Can anyone who is more knowledgable in low-level pixel
manipulation tell me what's going on here?
    * Why does it work, but still fishy, why we don't use the same
format on both ends...

David R
* I did some testing how "compile time style selection" works in qt6
  Results at: https://phabricator.kde.org/T13256#246242
  Task 13256 "Come up with a solution for displaying QQC2 elements in
Plasma" [Open,Normal] {KF6,Kirigami,Plasma}
https://phabricator.kde.org/T13256
* Needs further investigation but I hope that we can import the plasma
style once at the root and then use normal quick controls
* Or the other way around import once desktop style for config views
and the rest of plasma is plasma style with normal quick controls
* Next step I guess is I would create a simple app that creates two
engines and see what happens
* Another thing: I had a bug report that spectacle is slow, I debugged
it to the following:
* Spectacle does a statjob -> kio calls kjobviewserver reuestView ->
that returns 3 (!) seconds later
* The weird thing is, I see the moment when the call is made with
dbus-monitor but the generated adaptor function niside plasma is only
called 3 seconds later

Arjen
* don't have much to report, I've been continuing work on a new legend
for quick charts
* which turned out to be quite tricky
* luckily I seem to have managed to get the layouting mostly working,
now to figure out all the corner cases...

Alex
* MR to port the Locations runner away from deprecated methods is
open: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/512
This also makes the code more readable and the second commit contains
a bugfix.
* One thing that often came to my mind is how we should handle the
KRunner Plugins in KF6, we pretty much agreed that DBus runners are
the way to go and that we want to have a krunnerd daemon for KF5
compatibility. But I am not sure if we still want to load plugins in
the RunnerManager in KF6, we could say that we have another krunnerd
which loads these plugins. But that would really complicate stuff^^
[from discussion the need for both local and out of process runners is
still there for kf6]
[discussion about clang-format, how to resume the work on it, phab
task: these plugins. But that would really complicate stuff^^]

Carl
## Kirigami
* Improve the look of the global drawer with sections
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/189
## Kirigami applications
* Improve kongress sidebar
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kongress/-/merge_requests/11
* Improve kalgebra mobile on the desktop
https://invent.kde.org/education/kalgebra/-/merge_requests/6 (merged)
https://invent.kde.org/education/kalgebra/-/merge_requests/8 (merged)
https://invent.kde.org/education/kalgebra/-/merge_requests/9 (merged)
https://invent.kde.org/education/kalgebra/-/merge_requests/10 (merged)
* Improve Okular mobile
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/okular/-/merge_requests/329 (merged)
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/okular/-/merge_requests/332 (merged)
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/okular/-/merge_requests/333 (merged)
https://invent.kde.org/graphics/okular/-/merge_requests/334 (merged)
* Port Kalk to Kirigami.PagePool
* Improved the look of Kclock sidebar
https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/kclock/-/merge_requests/54
## Documentation
move KArchive and Kidletime documentation to develop.kde.org/docs
unfortunally rendering is blocked by
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/binary-factory-tooling/-/merge_requests/132
## Season of KDE
https://dot.kde.org/2020/12/13/season-kde-2021-coming announcement and
there is still time to volunter as mentor :p

Marco
# Plasma
* more work on work/mart/internalSvgCache branch, taken quite a lot of
time but approaches ready-ness. I'm starting to make the old Theme
rects cache api work with the new stuff (semi compatible, changes id
format but results are compatible, though only problem should be that
old caches wouldn't work anymore). Benchmarks tell that there is some
gain, not dramatic but consistently measurable. also, updating a
single svg file in the theme  should now automatically drop the cache
of that file without having to manually delete the cache or touch the
theme desktop file.
# Plasma Mobile
* Make notification applet correctly appear on pulldown screen
# Kirigami
* don't color buttons on top toolbar, only icons BUG:429399(VHI) BUG:429972
* more work on dragging windows from any empty areas, now uses
qqc2-desktop-style, please review
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/179
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/-/merge_requests/45
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcmutils/-/merge_requests/30