Alternate calendar in plasma - feature request discussion

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 14:00:29 GMT 2020

> Ialso found KCalendarSystem is pretty
> well designed but it's in kdelibs4support  and I can't found the successor.
> I also write down my thoughts here and feel free to check it out and let
> me know what you think. (

To provide some background. KCalendarSystem was what we had, whilst Qt
had nothing.
Because Qt gained support, we dropped ours.

>Yeah, and also, the QCalendar class doesn't come with chinese lunar
calendar system support, so if subclassing QCalendarBackend (private API)
is not acceptable

Use of Qt private API in Plasma code is problematic.

Undoubtedly, the best thing long term is to get it into Qt.
You're right that it means a delay for users, but if we start talking
short-term solutions first, we'll end up maintaining an entire new
calendar framework forever.

We can then revisit the Plasma side. It's a very different story to
talk about use of private API or introducing extra layers if we know
they will be temporary and are sure we can drop it in Plasma 6.

>So I suggest we can create a plugin API to add alternate calendar support

Creating a new library is one thing, the challenge is updating
everything to use it.
We can change things like the plasma clock popup easily, what's much
harder is the wider world of applications formatting calendar strings
if we're introducing things laer.

David