Monday meeting notes for 31/8/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 11:42:23 BST 2020

Nico:
* New bluetooth KCM: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/bluedevil/-/merge_requests/8
* Would like to get it in before soft feature freeze on thursday
* Refactored the way we handle jobs in purpose:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/9
* Hopefully fixes a common crash
* Some follow-ups:
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/11
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/14
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/15
* This allowed to better reason about the code and uncovered a few
leaks and other issues:
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/10
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/12
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/purpose/-/merge_requests/13
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/qrca/-/merge_requests/12
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/plasma-angelfish/-/merge_requests/91
* https://invent.kde.org/graphics/koko/-/merge_requests/31
* https://invent.kde.org/network/falkon/-/merge_requests/10
* plasma-pa:
* Port KCM away from tabs:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-pa/-/merge_requests/10
* Replace memcmp with appropriate PA functions:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-pa/-/merge_requests/11
* KDE Connect:
* Unify the code for opening the settings:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/314
* Port lock plugin to use logind, allows unlocking the screen now:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/313
* Misc:
* Port window decoration KCM away from tabs:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/218
* Add timeout to qmlplugindump calls to hopefully work around the CI
being stuck: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/extra-cmake-modules/-/merge_requests/23
* Honor icon property of ItemDelegate in qqc2-desktop-style
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/-/merge_requests/24
* Consider kirigami icon invalid when the source is empty
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/88
* Move window state saving out of .config:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kxmlgui/-/merge_requests/13
* Hide stop activity button if activity isn't stoppable:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/135
* Set the required C++ version to 17 on some Plasma repos, I plan to
do this for more

DavidR:
* Not much new, I continued to work on the new disk and cpu plugins
for ksysguard
* Making it also work on freebsd
* I have now disk read/write rate on FreeBSD, too which the old code didn't have
* Also mapped intel temperature sensors to individual cored
* Merged using sock_diag kernel interface instead of /proc/net parsing
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/ksysguard/-/merge_requests/31
* and fixed a rendering glitch of tooltips when the window becomes very small
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/commit/8c37d1d225adc68cf886cd22b4191828d6f58b0b

Arjen:
* I spent most of last week looking into improving the performance of
the process table in plasma-systemmonitor
* initially I tried to move everything in the linux backend of
ProcessCore to separate threads, but that turned out to perform worse
:(
* but I did find out that reading /proc/pid/smaps_rollup is very slow (200ms+)
* So I moved only that to a non-blocking threaded operation, which
seems to improve things
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/libksysguard/-/merge_requests/64
* also found out that the javascript callback in KSortFilterProxyModel
is a bottleneck for the process table
* so I created a c++ version of that, which improves performance more
* after that I spent a bit of time trying to remove some aliasing
artifacts in Quick Charts' line chart
* first version apparently made things worse on non-amd gpus but now I
have something that should work correctly on all gpus and also works
correctly on high dpi

Bhushan:
- Debugging various issues with maliit-keyboard
    - Keyboard not respecting the ImHints (partially fixed, needs
      refactoring before gets committed)
    - Keyboard getting stuck randomly (so far debugging why this
      happens)
    - Close keyboard when focused app goes away (short patch, need to
      put it up for review)
    - Keyboard showing up with wrong size at first startup
- Oh and also gave talk at Linux Plumbers Conference about plamo \o/

Kai Uwe:
* Add tab URL as mime data for tabsrunner to drag pages around, please
review https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/13
     * Failed to figure out what that issue fvogt has is
* Port tabsrunner to json mimedata, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/15
PowerDevil:
* Add setting for charge limit, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/powerdevil/-/merge_requests/5
* Indicate charge limit in Battery Monitor, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/234
* Probably won't have the time to finish the dim display and keyboard
backlight stuff for 5.20... WIP patch
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/powerdevil/-/merge_requests/17
Plasma-nm:
* Ignore connection deactivation shortly after wakeup, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/19
    * Started happening after I updated my laptop to neon Focal
KWin:
 * Need to install the maximize effect JS also for fullscreen but need
to have different metadata.desktop, any idea?
Solid:
 * What's missing for the libimobile backend patch?
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/solid/-/merge_requests/9 The find
module is buggy I reckon?
* also please help with that kwin script thingie I'd reall ylike to
get this effect in [Vlad: I'd just copy the effect..., it's not ideal
but should just work]

Vlad:
* Make kwin restart xwayland when the latter crashes:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/215
* Add support for the layer-shell v1 protocol:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/202
* I want to get both MRs merged in 5.20

Marco:
# KWin & Plasma mobile
* continued effort for a virtual keyboard autotest
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/195
# Frameworks/Kirigami
* please review
https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kirigami-addons/-/merge_requests/3,
should be ready now
* GUI part for tree views:
https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kirigami-addons/-/merge_requests/3
# Misc
* preparing Akademy talks, one on plasma bigscreen with Adythia,
another one about kirigami on desktop for KDAB Qt Desktop days which
is queued after Akademy