C++17 in Plasma

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 11:20:00 BST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 6:21 PM Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> do we have any rules on the C++ standard used in Plasma?

All our rules can be boiled down to one point:
 - Don't break distros

>Given that kactivitymanagerd is technically part of Plasma we even have
precedence of using C++17

Yeah, so it's clearly fine. Feel free to go for it.
The only repo we need to be slightly cautious about is libksysguard as
that's used outside plasma. (boooo)

It was also briefly discussed at the plasma weekly meeting. No objections
were made.

One comment was brought up.

[11:15] <davidre> Keep in mind that there are is a few (one?) incompatible
change where noexcept is part of the type of a function
[11:16] <davidre> Because that does stuff with function pointers
[11:16] <davidre>
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/drkonqi/-/merge_requests/2/diffs
[11:17] <davidre> So the type of a function potentially differs when you
build in c++17 or c++14 mode

David