Monday meeting notes for 17/8/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:36:24 BST 2020

Nico:
* Most of my work was getting rid of (not yet) deprecated KService API
    https://invent.kde.org/network/konversation/-/merge_requests/1
    https://invent.kde.org/network/kget/-/merge_requests/2
    https://invent.kde.org/utilities/konsole/-/merge_requests/194
    https://invent.kde.org/utilities/print-manager/-/merge_requests/3
    https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kgpg/-/merge_requests/2
    https://invent.kde.org/utilities/ark/-/merge_requests/3
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/204
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kde-cli-tools/-/merge_requests/3
    https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/212
* Some workboard gardening on the KF6 board
* Ported kdeconnect-kde and ktrip to SPDX identifiers, fixed a bunch
of licensedigger issues in the process
* I'd particularly like a look at the X-KDE-autostart-after thing
* Because I'm 92% sure it doesn't do anything useful

David R:
- Disable animation effects when screen is locked. Fixes a bug where
animated windows where visible above the lockscreen
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/176
- Only draw focus indicator on plasma toolbuttons when focus was
acquired via key press
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/43
- Cursortheme KCM: Avoid a nested event loop (uses pending deletion
now instead of "Do you really want to delete messagebox)
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/65
- Finally merged integrating standard shortcuts into global shortcuts kcm \o/
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/26
- moved web shortcuts kcm
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/80
- was renamed by Nate in
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kio/-/merge_requests/103
- Fix plasmoid shortcut configuration pages thinking they were changed
even when they were not
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/103
- KSysGuardQml is now "Plasma System Monitor"
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-systemmonitor/-/merge_requests/31
- Investigate and use sock_diag kernel netlink interface for getting
socket infos
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/ksysguard/-/merge_requests/31
  - Seems twice as fast on my machine with only a few sockets open

Kai Uwe:
plasma-browser-integration:
* Trying to fix Content Security Policy affecting Media Session API on Firefox
    * e.g. doesn't work on Spotify because of this.
    * Might have a workaround using Blob URLs, basically just swapping
out one bug for another but if it fixes Spotify, works for me? :D
* Fixed origin URL storing not working in Firefox because finalUrl
isn't supported there
KWin:
* Added pluginId for scripted effects so we can reduce code
duplication by changing behavior based on which effect we are in
    * To split maximize and future full screen effect, see also
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/171
Notifications:
* Slightly increase occupiable notification speace, please review
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/215
Other:
* We got MBition sponsor this year's Akademy:
https://akademy.kde.org/2020/sponsors#mbition

Arjen:
* I merged a change to Breeze to show menu arrows on toolbuttons with
instant-popup menus:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/breeze/-/merge_requests/19
* so that we can use the same style in Kirigami (which still needs to be done)
* I did some work on ksysguard's processcore to move cgroups pid
retrieval to a separate thread
* as a test case for moving more stuff in processcore to separate threads
* unfortunately the cgroups case doesn't seem all that representative
for the rest of processcore
* I also helped marco with some performance investigation with
kirigami's shadowedrectangle on the pinephone
* conclusion there is that the pinephone is reaaaaally underpowered hardware
* (to such an extent that, to get stable 30 fps you can only have
about 28 instructions in a shader, 14 if you want 60 fps)
* so I did a low-power version of the rectangle shaders, that do not
render shadows and have some other limitations
* see https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/76

Bhushan:
- Patch for the wakeup in powerdevil merged
- some testing work for inputmethod patchset
- Fix in p-w for build against the qt using GLESv2

Fabian Vogt:
* I'll mention the kwin crash with nvidia, but it seems like there
isn't much forward progress
* AFAICT it's the same issue as the one which promped me to just rm
-rf the screenlocker sandbox
* I have one reporter say that my patch works, one saying that it
didn't and one inconclusive answer...
* on kio-fuse, I'm planning to finish one MR this week and I'm waiting
for one from feverfew. It's not fully clear whether we need those for
a .0, but if we can get them in that would be nice

Marco:
# Plasma
* continued the collapsing nodes in kdescendantproxymodel patch
* started a tree view for the processes in ksysguardqml
* helping with testing kio-fuse about fixes for release blockers
# Plasma Mobile
* some changes in the homescreen look from suggestions of manjaro people
* investigating performance problems of shadowedrectangle components
on lima drivers
# Kirigami
* working on a software fallback of the
shadowedRectangle/shadowedtexture, helping debug why that slowness on
pinephone, thanks ahiemstra for getting to the bottom of it :)