D29130: [Applet] Show in system tray iff at least one vault is open

Konrad Materka noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 23 20:02:13 BST 2020

kmaterka added a comment.

  IMO it is the best **not** to add new status in System Tray - it is already quite confusing with "Disabled" state, the 3 other (Always hidden, Shown when relevant and Always shown) are OK and self-explanatory.
  "Shown when relevant" might be tricky and we will never please everyone. As stated in previous comment, this is tricky.

  Currently the decision is in the developer's hand only. There can be a configuration option, but too many options is also confusing. For configuration option, there additional questions: how to describe it with simple label? will users understand the purpose? what if applet is standalone (not in systemtray)? will user ever use it? is it easily discoverable? etc. If someone doesn't like default behavior it is always possible to force Shown/Hidden state. After all, it is not that users delete all vaults and creates new one on everyday basis.

  Personally I like the idea to hide Vaults icon when no vault is opened. I have one configured, but I use it very rarely, so for **me** it is better :) From the other side, Bluetooth and Network icons are visible not only when something is connected but also when connection is possible (Bluetooth/networking  is enabled). So maybe it would be more consistent if we leave it as it is now, wouldn't it? For someone who is using vaults often hiding Vaults icon might be really annoying. I don't know what's the best...

  BTW. For reference, MS Windows tries to hide as much as possible. But they are trying to kill system tray, so sometimes it is taken to the extreme and annoying.

REPOSITORY
  R845 Plasma Vault