D29028: feat(wayland): add Wrapland plugin

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 22 13:14:06 BST 2020

romangg added a comment.

  In D29028#654535 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29028#654535>, @anthonyfieroni wrote:

  > In D29028#653194 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29028#653194>, @romangg wrote:
  >
  > > In D29028#653192 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29028#653192>, @apol wrote:
  > >
  > > > I don't really see why we'd want to support something that is not offering ABI stability and doesn't push Plasma in any direction.
  > >

  > > It is offering in the same way ABI stability as most other components of Plasma, i.e. until a new minor Plasma release.
  >

  > That's not true. Always use pimpl in library code, say KWin can break backward compatibility, KWayland, KScreen, etc. does not. If you do it as it should be then it may be accepted (i cannot guaranteed but will be step in right direction, at least).

  First, how is pimpl relevant to the discussion here? Second, KWin and libkscreen are both Plasma projects, so the library functionality they both provide to a certain degree are offered on the same stability premise. KWayland on the other hand is a KDE Framework and has a different stability guarantee. To my knowledge there is no equivalent guarantee in Plasma, not written down at least.

REPOSITORY
  R110 KScreen Library