D29028: feat(wayland): add Wrapland plugin

Tomaz Canabrava noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 22 10:55:30 BST 2020

tcanabrava added a comment.

  I understand David's point: Wrapland project has one developer and we don't know how successful it will be, while the other backends have developers. What would happen if you suddenly quit / disappear and the project dies? Then kscreen will have a folder of dead code.

  This is a Plugin, it can live in any folder / project, you already forked KWinFT, create a new project to put this KScreen plugin, we can't scale to N projects adding code as plugins that will need to be maintained for quite a while in the future.

  > Come on man, do you really want to make this ugly? I thought we would still treat each other with respect David. :(

  Your words. His words are technical, Please don't distort things and make it about you.

  > Which "established practices" does this not satisfy?

  It's an external library that does not solve any problem within the plasma, nor adds value to plasma users. It's an experimental project, with only one developer, not stable, not ready, not core. You can see on this picture that we are not blocking your project here because of $excuse, but this is something that we do if the project is not core, please check the date.
  F8253102: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8253102>

  There's more information on the full phabricator ticket:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D20265

  > How would that look in detail?

  That will give you the possibility to create plugins for KScreen that are not bound to KScreen code, then you can create your project in gitlab and have different release schedules, in a way that:
  1 - The plugin code is independent to KDE Releases
  2 - We have a clear separation on project responsabilities
  3 - Being independent means that it can also test with experimental libraries.

  > Why is this even relevant?

  We need to be sure that the code of the project will always be buildable through the lifespan of Plasma 5.19, and right now we can't guarantee it.

  Create this code outside of KSCreen as a plugin. We will gladly accept code that install the Interface Headers to make that possible. :)

REPOSITORY
  R110 KScreen Library