Monday meeting notes for 20/4/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:12:29 BST 2020

Nico
* We had a virtual Plasma Mobile sprint
* Lots of $discussion
* Most interesting part was the "training day" which was aimed at new
contributors
* I gave two talks: "Introduction to Kirigami" and "Porting KDE apps to Android"
* some technical difficulties unfortunately
* The Plasma Mobile docs have a section about creating KCMs. I've
overhauled it a bit. Please give it a review
* Added a visual indication when unlocking fails to the mobile
lockscreen: https://invent.kde.org/kde/plasma-phone-components/-/merge_requests/71
* Started collecting requirements for a mobile audio KCM: T12993
    Task 12993 "Mobile Audio/Sound settings" [Open,Needs Triage]
{Plasma: Mobile,VDG} https://phabricator.kde.org/T12993
* Finally pushed forward the image annotation in spectacle that I
started at the last Plasma sprint: https://phabricator.kde.org/D22074
    Diff 22074 "Add image annotation via libKImageAnnotator"
[Accepted] https://phabricator.kde.org/D22074
    Fixed changing the notification volume in plasma-pa:
https://phabricator.kde.org/R115:5bdd1368957955c900d5a17bf6c890bb0920d356
Some docs tweaking for QML KCM types: https://phabricator.kde.org/D28805
    Diff 28805 "Tweak kcmcontrols docs" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28805
KDE Connect:
* Fixed desktop device ringing:
https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/243
* Ported device ringing to use libcanberra instead of relying on
oxygen sounds: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/244
* Implemented device type detection so PlaMo and Bigscreen don't show
up as desktop: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/245
KTrip:
* Some UI improvements
* Made mockups for more improvements, needs VDG discussion
* Tested KTrip on PureOS/phosh on the pinephone
 * Mostly works fine, but it thinks it's in desktop because
QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_MOBILE isn't set
 * Made a report: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/OS-issues/issues/147

 Kai Uwe:
 plasma-browser-integration:
* Did a new release \o/
https://blog.broulik.de/2020/04/plasma-browser-integration-1-7-5/
* Did a proof of concept for activity support by showing/hiding tabs as needed
    * Apparently that's not that the internetz™ want. Maybe I need to
make each activity an "identity" so you can have different cookies and
sessions per activity.
* Did a proof of concept by detecting phone numbers with libphonenumber
    * don't want to mess with website contents (i.e. make them
clickable) but context menu could offer to "Call" when selecting text
with a phone number in it
* Did a tonne of fixes and improvements, also please review D28926 D28936
Diff 28926 "Signal player gone in "unload" not "beforeunload"" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D28926
Diff 28936 "Use a Proxy object to detect changes within the
MediaMetadata" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D28936
qqc2-desktop-style:
* Fixed (worked around) ComboBox not closing on click outside in KCMs
Notifications:
* Fixed actions reversing, possibly fixes KDE Connect but I don't think so
Other:
* KAccess is now a regular startup application
    * Used to be launched through kcminit
* Ported KSysGuard and Task Manager away from KRun
* Fixed drag and drop in KRunner... again
* Dropped kded's delayed "second phase", see D28919
Diff 28919 "Drop delayed second phase" [Closed]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28919
* Noticed PowerDevil's dependencies were all over the place, please
review D28904
Diff 28904 "Cleanup dependencies" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28904

Bhushan:
Okay so, 3ish items on my list
 - I (almost) finished the notification watcher patchset
 - One bug remaining to fix, which I will do today
 - processing videos for the workshops taken at PlaMo mini sprint
 3/4 processed, just 1 is pain (Intro to Kirigami by nicofee)
 questions?
 or next

 Arjen:
 * so one thing I have is that I'd really like someone to take a look
at our KSysGuard work that's been on phab for a bit
 It's these patches:
* https://phabricator.kde.org/D28141
    Diff 28141 "Add KSysGuard::Sensors library" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28141
* https://phabricator.kde.org/D28140
    Diff 28140 "Add a declarative plugin to ProcessCore" [Needs
Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D28140
* https://phabricator.kde.org/D28333
    Diff 28333 "Add a new daemon for stats monitoring" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28333
* I also did a patch to use ShadowedRectangle for Kirigami's cards,
along with a new design
    Diff 28625 "Use ShadowedRectangle for Card backgrounds" [Accepted]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28625

David E:
* I have been doing Qt patches a lot
* Does anyone know eskil's IRC handle? I think I need to do some
prodding as I want to get some things in before 5.15.0 branches
* one is a critical fix for nvidia on wayland
* once that's applied, nvidia wayland works surprisingly flawlessly
* using it now
* Also this weekend I fixed Qt's layout margins with RTL:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdeclarative/+/297558
* as I saw someone saying in a phab to check and code things backwards
to work round a bug.... which annoys me a lot
* in terms of my big projects ; the plasma systemd startup is going
super well, I would like some testers and feedback
    Diff 28305 "WIP: Systemd Startup" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28305

RikMills:
* D28710 introduced a non trivial UI change to the 5.18 branch for
5.18.5. Despite comments on the task by d_ed that this should not go
in to 5.18, it did
* Diff 28710 "Make accidental panel and panel widget deletion more
difficult" [Closed] https://phabricator.kde.org/D28710
* I would like to know if that is going to stay for 5.18.5
==> should be kept in master, reverted in 5.18

Marco:
# Kirigami
* fixed a couple of bugs in the recently landed OverlaySheet refactor
# Plasma
~99% of the week spent in complete refactor of system monitor applet
to be used as a public library D28922 that's in the ksysguard series
of above, together with D28487
    Diff 28922 "Port Sensor Face loading from plasmoid" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D28922
    Diff 28487 "Redesign of system monitor plasmoids" [Needs Review]