D28873: Add SwipeNavigator component

Niccolò Venerandi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 16 09:36:22 BST 2020

niccolove added a comment.

  My opinion from the consistency side: I actually think this is a good possibility for the Consistency goal. After some digging around, my opinion is that

  > Tabs should only be used on application views that are user-editable (eg: when it's possible to open a new tab or close another).

  It's imo appropriate to have a different component for changing views, especially on Kiri. But of course, that component should be consistent. Right now we have big square sidebars, toolbars, etc etc etc etc etc

  F8241366: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8241366>

  I think that this component //could// be a good solution, because we have a similar topbar on Maui:
  F8241370: photo_2020-04-16_10-22-45.jpg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8241370>
  Plus, this navigation view is really easy to replicate with toolbars (stupid wrong example, but you get what I mean):
  F8241377: Screenshot_20200416_102417.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8241377>
  And this patch could add them for Kirigami as well.

  Of course, this assumes that some other stuff goes well:

  - Pressed buttons in toolbars should use highlight style (1px opaque line all around)
  - Possibly, buttons in toolbars should have an option to disable text if there's not enough space and they are not pressed
  - Apps should be okay with moving to a top centered mutually exclusive toolbuttons for navigating views
  - This patch should also use such highlight style
  - Possibly, Maui should drop his appviews component and use this one since it does the same thing, so this patch should coordinate with them and make sure this is feature-even

  We wouldn't get "swipe to change view" on qwidgets, but it's mostly for desktop so I think it's fine.

  For reference, I had done some consistency mockups in the past and this idea was already there:
  F8241385: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8241385>

  A problem I see is that most application have a high number of views that won't fit horizontal space with labels (I'm looking at Skrooge, KMyMoney, Kontact, ...). Should they be fine with only displaying label for the current one? They probably would prefer a sidebar, which we currently don't consistently offer, so we end up with various inconsistent implementations.

REPOSITORY
  R169 Kirigami